Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark H U
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
Re: White balance / RAW.
In reply to dwa1, Oct 20, 2012

dwa1 wrote:

Mark H U wrote:

I try to adjust the light conditions as best as possible, I don't like to do any pp if possible. My opinion only. Although I have my D50 set to vivid. I do find that pinks don't come out as the right color. I'm not sure why.

Mark,

Your colors look fine on my uncalibrated LCD monitor (I use a differenct one for editing). If you shoot RAW (Nikon NEF), then you can change the Picture Controls with NX, NX2. The important thing about the colors is that you get the white balance set correctly. I carry a small WhiBal card with me at all shoots (see link below for vendor). For a given lens, filter and lighting condition, I take a picture of the WhiBal card. Normally, several times per day. Then in post, I get the white balance setting from the shot of the WhiBal card. Then I apply that setting to the related images.

As far as vivid color (saturation) goes, the amount is up to you. fwiw... your samples look very good to me. Many photo printers cannot print the entire color gamut that many monitors can display. Reds and pinks are often difficult to deal with in the digital world. Using the AdobeRGB color space is another way to best deal with tonal variations. sRGB has it's limitations.

http://michaeltapesdesign.com/whibal.html

Keep up the good work.

Wayne

Hi Wayne

Thanks for the comment.

I did use shoot in NEF & jpg, but don't have NX only Nikon PictureProject & Nikon Capture.  I don't think it can change picture controls as you suggest, I'll take a look later.

When using the white card, do you fill the whole screen with the card as you take a photo?  I never done this before, I usually set the camera on one of the white balance settings. How much difference does it make? Do you have some samples photos to compare?

-- hide signature --

-- Regards, Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow