Here are some facts you should know about PDAF in 3rd Gen NEX.

Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
privater
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
Re: Here are some facts you should know about PDAF in 3rd Gen NEX.
In reply to Timbukto, Oct 20, 2012

Timbukto wrote:

Thanks for the video and clear-up.  PDAF looks to be useful now.  However what is your source of information that the 50mm 1.8 OSS is not supported?  I think that is a big omission to not have that PDAF supported as its the only native lens that shoots portraits with thin DOF?

Got answers from Sony representative: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3281313

E50 will eventually got the update, so just stay tuned. the lens update is totally separated from camera update, so they won't wait for camera firmware sync. When it's ready, Sony will release them.

From the experience I play with 18-55 with update to PDAF

I won't put too much hope that a lens firmware update can drastically improve the E50 AF performance.

Yes, the PDAF do make the lens merely hunts in AF-C, but in AF-S it's still hunts like CDAF, I don't know why, it's not work like real PDAF DSLR.  maybe a slightly better than CDAF. I don't know if it's the old generation lens problem or the PDAF not work as it should be. To me the biggest problem is the lens motor Sony used in those lens seems not capable to provide lighting fast lens AF movement. And I believe E50 suffers this the most.

privater's gear list:privater's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow