How do you think about this shot?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
waynes
Contributing MemberPosts: 910
Like?
Re: How do you think about this shot?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Oct 20, 2012

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

First, I like the shot as it is.  I think the colours look naturally attractive without any need to enhance or subdue them.

If it were my shot I'd try a few things differently; but I wasn't there so they might not work.

1.  Focus.  The sharpest part of the image is the heart of the reflected trees; to tops of the trees themselves are quite soft.  I'd focus to get them crisp, which would still let the far bank go soft and hold reasonable detail in the nearer reflections.

2.  Crop #1.  I'd chop away a bit from the right, so the large tree trunk is just at the edge of the frame.

3.  Crop #2.  You've obviously cropped to get the vertical symmetry of the clouds and further elements.  That's taken the top off the reflection of the trees.  I'd make sure all the tree tops were visible; this might need a wider FL.  Depending on how much more that captures you might try a square crop.

4.  Orientation.  With powerful skies and reflections I'd try a portrait orientation shot.  How successful, of course, depends on the bits I can't see.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Thanks for the comments.

I actually did not crop much.  I had other shots that has either more sky or more water,but none looked better.  This was the only symmetrical one.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow