Here are some facts you should know about PDAF in 3rd Gen NEX.

Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
privater
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
Re: Here are some facts you should know about PDAF in 3rd Gen NEX.
In reply to El Matadurr, Oct 20, 2012

El Matadurr wrote:

privater wrote:

I've played with my 5R for weeks and fully tested the PDAF capability. I try to write some words about this new feature, and hope people in this forum can get what they need.

First off, thanks for the detailed explanation.

Here are some facts you should know about PDAF in 3rd Gen NEX(5R/6).

3. The menu item"PDAF aera" only controls the display of PDAF pixels, not to control PDAF function.

That's a shame.

4. PDAF can only be activated when aperturen is no greater than f/6.3 (e.g: f/7-f13 works, f/1.8-f5.6 won't work)

That's even worse to hear.

5. PDAF won't work when it's dark.

WHAT?

So, in conclusion, the PDAF function in 3rd Gen NEX just a welcome gift, but not really a game changer. Don't throw your NEX-7/5n right away 

I was afraid the on-sensor PDAF would act similar to the Nikon 1 series (performing as you are describing). But if it doesn't work with large apertures, well...that just plain stinks. Like you mentioned though, it does seem like just a small addition to the camera, rather than a be-all, end-all solution to proper mirrorless autofocus.

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

I just want to say sorry that my previous information mislead lot of people, the PDAF really works in f1.8-f6.3, and aperture less than f6.3 it's stop working.

privater's gear list:privater's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow