Here are some facts you should know about PDAF in 3rd Gen NEX.

Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
privater
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
Here are some facts you should know about PDAF in 3rd Gen NEX.
Oct 20, 2012

I've played with my 5R for weeks and fully tested the PDAF capability. I try to write some words about this new feature, and hope people in this forum can get what they need.

Here are some facts you should know about PDAF in 3rd Gen NEX(5R/6).

1. It only works with supported lens(16-50 pz, 18-55, 55-210, 18-200, 24z)

2. It only works with still image, not for movies.

3. It turned on automatically and cannot be turned off w/ supported lens(list above. at present).

4. The menu item"PDAF aera" only controls the display of PDAF pixels, not to control PDAF function itself.

5. PDAF can only be activated when aperturen is no greater than f/6.3 (e.g: f/7-f13 works, f/1.8-f5.6 won't work)

6. PDAF won't work when it's dark.

7. PDAF won't work when AF illumination turned on.

8. When you fullfil the limitation above, the PDAF really works, the lens won't hunt like breath effect. you can tell the difference between f5.6 to f7. but then you find out the AF speed is greatly limited by lens motor. AF speed is almost the same with previous NEX, but it won't hunts for focus.

So, in conclusion, the PDAF function in 3rd Gen NEX just a welcome gift, but not really a game changer. Don't throw your NEX-7/5n right away 

And last, I give you the full detail manual of NEX-5r/6 extracted form my CD, not the concise one you downloaded from fcc:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0nt85r1ti5wy9h/Handbook%20NEX%205r%206%20EN.pdf

privater's gear list:privater's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 +16 more
NEX5R Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow