Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
riderfanreturns
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?
Now may never own a 5D MkIII
Oct 20, 2012

As if the 5D mkIII prices weren't high enough now Canon has put restrictions in place to prevent Canadians from buying them from authorized dealers in the US.  (To be fair apparently Nikon did the something similar a while back.)

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/10/bh-stops-some-items-from-shipping-to-canada/

So instead of buying the 5D mkIII + 24-105 kit for $3749 plus about $65 shipping I'm now looking at  $4200 in Canada.   The Canadian dollar is roughly on par with the US right now so can compare values directly.

I was waiting for the kit to start selling for $3500 in US and was then going to try to get "executive approval" to place an order.  I realize this might have taken until sometime in 2013 but I'm not in a rush.   It now looks like I won't be bothering as I refuse to pay more than what I should have been able to pay via a US purchase (anybody heard of NAFTA?).  Its a matter of principle, I'd rather make no purchase than feel I'm getting scr3w3d.

As much as I didn't want to look closely at Nikon I will now since their US vs. Canada pricing isn't a joke!   A %D mkIII in Canada is over $3300 while a D600 is the expected $2100.   Sorry Canon but I work too hard for that $1200 difference (not to mention about $120 extra in taxes).  The recent high prices of new Canon products combined with the lack of features for the money (see 6D AF, flash sync, max shutter or missing IS on 24-70 mkii) has really got me thinking about whether to spend any more on this hobby (at least with Canon).

Anyway I just had to vent.  I feel like Canon has lost touch with their Canadian customers (at least me anyway).

On the bright side my wife is happy that I am loosing interest in buying more gear!

-- hide signature --

I think I have GAS. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

riderfanreturns's gear list:riderfanreturns's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Canon EOS 7D Olympus OM-D E-M5
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow