ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter Kayaert
Regular MemberPosts: 156
Like?
sell D 700 for new leica M or keep it and get a Sony RX1
Oct 20, 2012

Hi,
With the upcoming new Leica M and Sony RX1, I am wondering if I should change my gear … 
I do mostly landscape and portraits (no subjects that move quicker than a child). Mostly natural light, sometimes a fill-in flash. I seldom use very high ISO settings (max 3200).
I am no professional and do not use my gear on daily basis. I do appreciate image quality and lens quality.
I print at 12 x 16 inches and seldom at 16 x 23 inches.
I use a Nikon D700 with 24/1.4, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4 and 70-200AFS (BTW the latter I want to trade in for the Zeiss 135 F/2 ZF2 if I stay in Nikon). I also have the Leica R Summicron 90 F/2 adpated for Nikon (Leitax). I have sold my Zeiss ZF 21 because I seldom feld the need for ultrawide (I prefer panorama). 
In general I am pleased with the image quality I can get although some more pixels (24 MPIX would be ideal) would mean a step up in IQ I guess for my largest prints. Sometimes I would like some more dynamic range or some more shadow detail.
I adore the look with Leica lenses but manual focussing a manual lens with the Nikon D700 is not that easy I find with moving subjects (even spontaneous portraits). Maybe I do not practice enough.
I also find the Nikon D700 quite big. On the other hand I like the build quality.
The Leica M has always been my 'dream' camera because of the IQ one can reach with it, not only sharpness but general look. Zeiss lenses give another look but with people I find it sometimes a little bit harsh in comparison with Leica. For people the look one can reach with a summilux 80 or summicron 90 I cannot create with my Nikon (or Zeiss) lenses. 
The compactness of the Leica and also the silence of the shutter were other reasons to like it.
The drawback to buy a Leica M was honestly only the price. When it would be 2000 Euros with a 50 mm F/2 I would have it already . 
Also I do not know if I will be able to focus it quickly and if I could give it to my wife if she wants to take a picture (exposure I could probably explain, but focussing maybe one should be trained to do it?)
I could buy the new M with one simple lens (a 50 summicron or maybe summilux) but to finance it I have to sell all my other gear (maybe I should keep the summicorn 90 to be adapted on the M). Later on I can maybe buy some other lenses (summarit 35 and 90?. Will I be happy is off course the question… Testing is not really easy here since I do not know any users and renting is not possible in the Belgian shops. I also thought about the M9...

Another option is to sell my least used lens, the 70-200 and to buy the Sony RX1 for when I want to work quietly and be unobtrusive. It could be the poor mans M with AF so everybody can use it. It is only 35 mm but the smart teleconvertor function (I guess basically cropping) makes portraits possible at lower resolution (when I do not have my Nikon with me). The external viewfinder is a bit of an issue though.
What our your opinions on it?
Thanks
Peter

Nikon D700 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow