A99 vs D600 ISO6400 samples

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
philbot
Contributing MemberPosts: 843
Like?
Re: A99 vs D600 ISO6400 samples
In reply to mick232, Oct 20, 2012

The 5D3 is an excellent performer at high ISO in some respects, the default RAW conversions on IR have very 'nice' uniform noise that is quite pleasing to my eye.

However, if you look around the image ISO12800 vs ISO6400, there is plenty in favour of the A99 as well, there is a bunch more detail (look at the cloth swatches, the pepper oil label, the bristles on the yellow brush).. It's just the noise control isn't as good in some places (as you've shown)..

I've checked higher up the ISO range with the same 1 stop difference and it's the same story, obviously more detail in the A99 images, but well controlled noise in the 5D3...

The main thing I came away with is how awesome the FF camera's are at high ISO!

I do suspect the Sony will struggle in not presenting 'ugly' looking noise in comparison to the others..

The silly thing is, if the sensor is in the D600, even with 1/3 stop SLT loss, the noise should be able to be as 'pleasant' as the D600 at least, but Sony seem to have their own characteristics..

I'll await more studio tests, I just hope DPReview's exposures are closer then IR..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow