Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timberland
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,213Gear list
Like?
What to buy: 5D MKIII vs 1D MKIV
Oct 20, 2012

In short: I currently have a 7D that I like and want to keep as a second body.
I mainly shoot sports and travel photography.
For a while I've been looking at the 5D MKIII, which should be a wonderful camera IQ wise (full frame) and the AF is also very good (according to the reviews).

The problem is that I would like to buy one, but it is still too expensive for me at this moment (at €3000 in The Netherlands).

I also have the opportunity to buy a new 5D MKII for €1350,-, but I'm not convinced with the AF compared to what I have (a 7D) and I do not want to downgrade in the AF department.

Now there has been a third option thrown at me which sounds tempting. I can buy a 7 month old 1D MKIV (25.000 shutter counts) for €2400,- which looks like it's new. I really like the idea that I can shoot at 10fps and very fast and accurate AF. I'm a bit worried about IQ compared to the 5D MKIII. How does it perform against a full frame body (DOF wise and high ISO wise). Also the 5D MKIII should have even better AI Servo tracking capabilities than the 1DMKIV.

I could also hang on to my 7D and buy a 5D MKIII in some time when it's cheaper.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Tim
--
New gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/tvw/mexico

Timberland's gear list:Timberland's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow