kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
Re: LA-EA2 and aperture control
In reply to verybiglebowski, Oct 20, 2012

verybiglebowski wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

verybiglebowski wrote:

My Canon 5D mark II behave the same. It won't close the aperture until I fully press the shutter button.

I believe this is because of the nature of Phase detection AF, that has to use as much light as possible till the exposure itself. I don't know if there is a noticeable delay difference when the aperture get closed between 5D m II and NEX 7 with LE-EA2. I can't measure it.

The mirror flipping up takes longer than the lens going to its exposure position, it is usually a lever and a stop, i.e. it is a near instant time operation.

Not only PDAF benefits from this, all optical viewfinders do too. In SLR days, this was a big benefit of using fast lenses, even if used stopped down.

But you can't see the DOF and exposure result this way. The Nex shows both effects.

Under low light conditions, the Nex EVF gets grainy, and does not reflect true (ISO) noise levels, plus it may suggest less camera induced blur than is the actual case.

The Sony SLT and LA-EA2 have a fixed mirror, so only the aperture lever action remains. The Nex, if pre-focussed, has the advantage, but usually the half-press--confirm-focus method defeats that.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Thanks Henry, I was comparing the delay of 5DMII in live view mode and MF, to see if there is a difference (in comparison to NEX 7 with LE-EA2) in a time lag before the aperture close and exposure is made. So the mirror was already up and OVF was dissabled.

I've been trying to understand this part of the thread and was a bit confused; so if I use the LA-EA2 there's going to be some sort of shutter lag right? and is there some settings that I'm suppose to change when I use it?

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow