ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Arel
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
diffraction and the D5100
Oct 20, 2012

hello folks!

I have been doing some reading trying to get to the bottom of diffraction. I found a great article on Cambridge in Colour, here's the link for those of you that haven't already seen it: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

So, and now to my question. I want to take a landscape photo with a near foreground, I focus at the hyperfocal distance and want everything as sharp as possible. With tripod, cable release, the whole thing. For the sake of discussion lets say there is no haze this day, perfect conditions.

Which Aperture do you guys use with your different lenses to find that optimal DOF vs. diffraction setting?

I realise that the visible effect of diffraction depends on print size and viewing distance, but so does the DOF or not? What I mean is that the aperture that maximizes the sharpness of the whole image (DOF vs diffraction) should be the same no matter the viewing distance or print size. Or am I missing something?

Ok, I'm getting a bit technical here, all I really want to know is at which aperture you guys take your landscape shots

cheers

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow