Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BrianaH
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Thinking about AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G for my D5100
Oct 20, 2012

I bought my D5100 a few months ago with the kit lens and the 55-200 lens.  While I would like to improve other categories of my photography, my main priority of my camera is capturing my 3 children.  I thought my 55-200 lens would be great or a lot of our outings, but am finding it difficult to get far enough away (when it is just me and my 3 kiddos) to snap a picture.  An example being, I took them to the zoo aquarium on a Saturday with lots of people.  With them in front of the aquarium, and me on the other side, I just wasn't far enough back to get everything in the frame.  I also realize that a lot of my pictures will be indoors, so I may need to set this lens away until next summer when I am shooting from further away.

Tonight I decided to look at the Nikon website to find a better close up lens that would also give me bokeh options.  I am stuck on this AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G lens.  I know I need a better lens for indoor lighting conditions and especially shooting my children while being in busy public places by myself.  But, I just upgraded to this camera after my Canon G5 point and shoot died, and this will be 3 lenses.  I do image I will upgrade my camera in about 2 years, and want to make the most out of this experience (and my children's early years).  The reviews on this lens seem awesome, but wanted to get some opinions on here.  Should I go for it, or do I need to be looking at something else.

As I said, there are other things I would like to photograph, like my garden, but if I was only able to  take photographs of my children, I would be very happy

Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow