Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sinnettc
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,501Gear list
Like?
!@#@$ K20D quit today . . .
Oct 20, 2012

We went out in the rain so I could take pictures of a few waterfalls along the Mackenzie river here in Oregon.  In the middle of shooting my original K20D (I have a refurb too) said the battery was dead and stopped working.  Swapped the batteries between the grips and nothing.  Swapped a fresh battery into the body and nothing.  Swore a bit and switched the DA* 16-50/2.8 onto the other body so I could continue taking pictures.  

20 minutes later, as I was walking down the trail in search of my wife, I noticed that the back of the dead camera was warm . . . and getting warmer!   Pulled the battery out of the grip, pulled the battery out of the body and smelled hot electronics. 

When I got home I dried everything off and started checking the camera.  No fogged screens, no obvious issues, except that there seemed to be moisture in the battery compartment.  While it *could* be from swapping batteries I have a bad feeling it's not.  How the water got in the battery compartment when the grip was on (tight) is beyond me. Put a battery in after I dried things out and the display comes on for about 1 sec before it shuts itself down.  That's more than it was doing in the woods so I guess I'll give it overnight and see what happens.

This body is the one that went to CRIS 3 times last winter for a bad sensor so I'm wondering if maybe they did a poor job sealing it.  Wonder if they'll fix it for free as I can't really afford a new K5 and my vertical grip won't fit on one anyway.  

Sinnettc's gear list:Sinnettc's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q10 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow