Space station passing in front of the Sun caught with my D3s.

Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris Boar1
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Space station passing in front of the Sun caught with my D3s.
Oct 20, 2012

Thought folks might be interested in this shot I took recently.

My hobby is astronomy. I'd been waiting 10 months to get this shot, and only 0.93 seconds to nail it.  So connected up my D3s to my telescope with it's solar filter attached.

You have to be within 3km of the 'centre line' to see an ISS-Solar transit, and in this case it was perfect, I was right on the pass centre which is why the ISS is right in the middle of the sun.

Used my D3s on high speed 11FPS mode, from an astronomy site I knew when the pass would happen down to the tenth of a second. As the ISS travels at 19,000mph it only took 0.93 seconds to complete the transit, so just kept my finger on the shutter until I filled the camera's buffer (about 4 seconds worth of shots). And sure enough a few caught the transit. The resulting image is a composite to show the pass. The ISS isn't that sharp due to atmospheric disturbances.

-- hide signature --

D3s, D3, a shed load of lenses/crap, and an RX100 for the family walkabout.

Nikon D3S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow