Advise for African Safari (Tanzania)

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
bonedoc1
Contributing MemberPosts: 549
Like?
Re: Advise for African Safari (Tanzania)
In reply to Bart T, Oct 19, 2012

Bart T wrote:

Well, for a safari, 300mm is not that big. Maybe you could consider a teleconverter (or is that what you mean with this lens ring?). The animals don't always come close to the car.

For me a monopod turned out to be useless, unless during a walking safari. When they open the roof of the minivan, you can stabilize your lens on the side of the car. Eventually use a fleece or other thick cloth as a beanbag. By the way, most drivers stop their engine when they pause for taking photos. If the driver doesn't, ask him. The vibration of the engine could ruin your pictures.

Take binoculars. Don't count on looking through the lens all the time. Binoculars are much more handy when not taking pictures. If you travel in group, everyone should take their own binoculars. Everyone wants to use the binoculars at the same time. Don't let discontentedness about binoculars ruin a fantastic journey.

CP-filters: I always had them with me, but I never used them on a safari. Anyway, I didn't want to take the time to install the filter. By then, the "target" could have been gone. When there is a safari on a lake or a river, a CP-filter can become usefull.

The position of the sun is something you cannot control. But pay attention to it. When possible, ask the driver to position the car so you don't face the sun.

Don't just look to the ground. look in the trees as well...

Can an antelope jump that high?

Well, i'm jealous.

I know 300 is a

little small but other 100-400 is just too big and heavy for me. So this was a compromise. I figure I can crop later.

Binoculars will be provided for each of us.

it hanks for the advise about the monopod. May not bring it then,.  Save a little space.

-- hide signature --

http://www.bonedoc1.com -----------------------------------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow