Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Takuya
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?
Sad A77 owner
Oct 19, 2012

My camera decided it wanted to try out for Olympic high diving today. Unbeknownst to me it had secretly unzipped the camera bag and waited for the opportune Greg Louganis moment, which happened to be when I pulled my bag out of my trunk in the office parking lot. Silly thing ended up landing on its head and now needs the Sony ER in Laredo, TX to undergo some cosmetic and internal surgery. 7-10 business days we will be separated so it can get patched up. I think it was smoking the good stuff in order to think it could survive that jump intact.

So basically the flash wont stay closed, the casing across the SONY logo is bent and cracked, the front panel popped off about 2 mm and the flash switch won't engage to lock or release the flash. They quoted me 184 USD as a minimum repair fee for parts and labor on what I described over the phone.  Also, the 16-50 SSM was on the camera...it was suggested that I send that in also, but it will be another $154.44 USD minimum if it needs any parts to repair it. (I guess if its not in need of repair, there will be a nominal fee for them to look at it, but he couldn't tell me what that was.)

Does anyone have any other ideas what they will check and/or experience with getting their A77 (or other camera) sent in for repair like this?  The camera still works, the lens AFs just fine and pics look ok from what I can tell.  Should I send the lens in if its not really even broken and have them charge me for simply checking it out? What would you do?

Takuya's gear list:Takuya's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +7 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow