Removing the AA Filter on D600

Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
tektrader
Contributing MemberPosts: 640Gear list
Like?
Re: Removing the AA Filter on D600
In reply to bobn2, Oct 19, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

The camera system will be tuned to the response with the filter in place, to simply use an optically neutral filter would have meant setting them up differently in production, different firmware and so on.

This is exactly what I am getting at Bob, I was a production engineer in a large electronics company for years. Some changes and the replacement of some parts with links etc during production are used rather than make fundamental changes in the assembly method, PCB, assembly robot programs etc.

For Side by side production methods making goods like the D800/e. It pays them to make minimal or NO changes to the assembly method. ATM all they have to do is order in, 1 extra part number for the sensor ( possibly at a small extra cost due to quantity differences between the D800/e), a new printed D800E Tampo Print Stencil and different firmware with  an "e"  added to the identity to make a different  product.

In this case NONE of these adds up to massive extra cost as there are essentially NO changes to the process at their end. AND THEY GET A $300 bonus for doing it.

Well. we will never find out till someone pulls the AA assembly out of a D800. Once they are out of warranty I am sure someone will do it and report. Till then ?????

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow