Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
larsbc
Forum ProPosts: 11,494
Like?
Re: GH3 leaves me cold as ice
In reply to Adventsam, Oct 19, 2012

Adventsam wrote:

[snip]

If that was the case, the sensor should have been designed wide enough for a proper scaled approach, just like the GH2. There is nothing wrong with the GH2 sensor that a next generation tweak wouldn't have solved?

Clearly, if it could have been solved with a simple tweak, they would have done it, rather than adopting a completely different sensor.  If the dynamic range is improved to a level similar or better than the OM-D, then I am fine with losing multi-aspect.

All in all the GH2 was a superb camera, it needed a few new tweaks, ie pretty much the additonal features in the G5, what they've have done is maddening.

For me, I'm quite happy with some of the major changes:

• More direct-access controls.
  • More user-programmable controls.
  • Wi-fi.
  • Wireless flash control.
  • Full manual control of the built-in flash.
  • Presumably better image quality with regards to dynamic range and high ISO performance.
Very useful changes, IN MY OPINION.
Also, IMO, the GH3 would have lost more sales to the OM-D if Panasonic stuck with a tweaked version of the GH2's multi-aspect sensor.  I think they made the right choice.  Maybe they'll bring back the multi-aspect sensor in the future.  But I sure hope they don't do it to the detriment of providing the best image quality that they can.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow