Lot's of critics of Canon DSLR sensors these days, any photo proof to support this?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
studio311
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
Re: Lot's of critics of Canon DSLR sensors these days, any photo proof to support this?
In reply to Coyote_Cody, Oct 19, 2012

Coyote_Cody wrote:

Going by DXO results it appears (maybe DPReview as well), many think Canon is 'far' behind in sensor tech on matters pertinent to good photos, especially to Sony.

Has anyone seen actual 'real' (non studio props) photos that show these 'crucial' shortcomings of Canon sensors? Surely they must exists if all these ppl say Canon is so far amiss!

TIA!

-- hide signature --

The Light is Right - Take that Shot!!
Check out my photo galleries @
http://picasaweb.google.com/TauPhoto

Cody, for me at least, it isn't that acknowledging Nikon / Sony has superior sensors equates to Canon sensors being "bad", simply that the Sony and Nikon tweaked Sony sensors are better.  Is it "crucial", I would say 100% not.

Yet, why should I not invest my money in the best available product for the money? Especially when the superior product is LESS MONEY (d800 vs 5d3)?

And yes, it shows in images and creative options (dynamic range for example).  I don't like Canon's approach to noise ( smearing detail and banding) versus Sony / Nikon which doesn't have the banding, holds detail better and has a film like grain.

Clearly, Canon 5d3 is capable of making beautiful images. And yes, these technical differences get (generally) overblown in these gearhead forums, BUT...let's not be in denial either  Canon is currently behind in IQ technology and this has been the case for a few years now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow