Fixed lens 4/3 compact?

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,923Gear list
Like?
Re: Then what's the benefit of 4/3 sensor? (nt)
In reply to Vlad S, Oct 19, 2012

As far as big sensors in small bodies go, Sony really hit a home run with the rx100. I think it is a good example of the largest sensor you can cram into a body while still keeping it PANTS pocketable (jacket pocketable is not what most people mean by pocketable- by that standard, my e-pl1 is pocketable).

The 1" sensor handily bests other compacts at high iso, the lens/sensor combo can capture pretty impressive resolution, and you can fit it in a dress shirt or pair of jeans with no need to tote a camera case.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100/images/compared-smallcams-top.jpg

I doubt an m4/3 camera of the same style would remain pocketable- it would compete with the likes of the G1X. If it were possible to make a pocketable m4/3 at all, I think it would need to have a fixed focal length, something like the digma dp series.

If they managed to produce a pocketable m4/3 with a fixed 35mm eqivalent 1.8, I'd definitely take a look.

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow