Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
mtlr
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?
Very smart move, Rumi!
In reply to Rumi Siddiqui, Oct 19, 2012

It's only normal to experience some buyer concerns when you go for big changes as you're doing, but don't fret about your decisions, which I believe were extremely wise!

The D700 is an incredible camera, as you mention it provides absolutely charming IQ, with a very special character, something undefinable I just don't find in newer models, 12 MP is perfectly good for 98% of normal needs (unless you constantly print mural-size or crop to fractions of the frame), and the build and ergonomics just excel. You'll love it, no doubt about that.

And saving cash on the D700 vs. D800 purchase enabled you to go for top level glass instead of just good/decent options, this decision will have far more positive impact on your images than anything else you could have bought.

Your next tough decisions will be on how to expand your system, you should have a lot of fun along the way.

Lastly, you mention you do a lot of portraits and people images, I wonder if you should consider at least one of the classic Nikon mount portrait primes, which fortunately abound for Nikon: 85/1.4 G, 85/1.4 AFD, 105/2 AF DC, 135/2 AF DC, Sigma 85/1.4, all great, 85/1.8 G and even 60/2.8 G Micro could be nice and somewhat more affordable choices too.

Welcome to the dark side!

mtlr's gear list:mtlr's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow