Best prime for 60d? Already have 50mm 1.8.

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
mikdes26
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
Re: Best prime for 60d? Already have 50mm 1.8.
In reply to pdxpix, Oct 19, 2012

pdxpix wrote:

I realize this is heading in the wrong direction since 50mm is consider too long for the OP; but, my second prime purchase for the 40D/7D after the 50mm f/1.4 was the 85mm f/1.8.

Equivalent to a 135mm FF, great portrait lens and... fast becoming a cult favorite for indoor sports shooters on crop cameras. Shooting high school basketball or volleyball on dimly lit non-NBA courts is a challenge, even at f/2.8. The 85mm f/1.8 allows tack sharp shots at f/2.0 - a full stop faster than f/2.8. Mine was just over $400 a couple years back and it has 10 times the photos in my library than the 50mm f/1.4. (I also have the 17-55 f/2.8 IS)

Actually I'm glad you mentioned this lens.  I realized my 17-50 f2.8 Tamron fulfilled the need I thought I had, but your comments make me realize I need something like the 85mm f1.8.  I like to shoot my daughter's basketball games, but I don't have that reach with a bright enough lens.  The price is reasonable...maybe I'll get it today!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow