Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Brad Evans
Contributing MemberPosts: 553Gear list
Like?
Re: Really fantastic stuff
In reply to millsart, Oct 19, 2012

millsart wrote:

Wow, great stuff

So many people think "street" photography is just randomly snapping images of people across the street with a long lens, or strangers taken from behind.  BORING!

You actually interact with the subjects and as such, there is a real connection with the image, and thus, with the viewer

The lighting, compositions, toning, rare of characters etc is all fantastic

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for writing - I appreciate it!

I care a lot about the people I shoot, whether shot candidly or as an engaged street portrait. And I've actually made a lot of friends on the street as a result. And have come away with a lot of interesting stories, too.

>>> So many people think "street" photography is just randomly snapping images of people across the street with a long lens, or strangers taken from behind.  BORING!

I agree. Photos of random people on the sidewalk not doing anything special, or without some kind of "pull" to snag me into caring about what's going on just doesn't cut it for me.  Good street photos should be well-considered as to composition and light. And they should have some quality that gives them a certain power, or gravitas. Mystery, ambiguity, tension between elements, not revealing too much information, humor, irony, etc, among other things, can add.  And, ideally they should have the potential of releasing narrative to a viewer.

All IMO...

Brad
Urban photoblog: http://www.citysnaps.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow