Buying an X100 used/refurbished in the U.S.A.

Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
njb311
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
Re: Buying an X100 used/refurbished in the U.S.A.
In reply to viking79, Oct 19, 2012

viking79 wrote:

I love buying used cameras, but the X100 is one I would think twice about used, only because of the sticky aperture blade problem, often referred to as SAB.  This is an expensive repair and seems to be fairly common in early units.

From the many discussions I've read (here and elsewhere) about SAB, it makes it seem common because you're hearing from those that had it and not those that didn't. However, when you say it's an expensive repair, the one thing I haven't heard anyone saying is that they had to pay for it. In fact, I've heard several people saying that Fuji did the lens assembly replacement free of charge even when the camera was out of warranty and they weren't the original owner with any proof of purchase.

My understanding is that during the 4th quarter of 2011, the lens assembly design was changed so some units starting with serial number 14- may still be affected, earlier units starting with serial numbers 12- or 13- may be affected, and the proportion of total production up to December 2011 that is affected is something like 2%. That's high for a product failure rate, but it does mean if true that 98% of people will have no problem and any 21- onwards serial numbers are also fine.

It would be interesting to see if Fujifilm would confirm if given a serial number whether the camera had undergone the repair, but I doubt it unfortunately. Even though a simple confirmation against a number doesn't seem to raise any personal information issues, companies generally seem reluctant to divulge any such things as they actually find it difficult to navigate privacy policy/regulations more generally and err on the side of caution.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow