Pairing D300s with another body? and which?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jaggedhorizon
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Pairing D300s with another body? and which?
Oct 19, 2012

Looking at the situation below (sorry for the long post), would you consider that a D300s plus another body (D7000?) is a good idea?

Thanks for any thoughts / comments! (note: I posted a similar message in the Canon 60/7D forum...my question is less about the eternal Canon vs Nikon debate and more about a good combination of bodies and lenses within a system).

http://cedricpopa.zenfolio.com/p919345075

If you're interested, here are selected shots  from a recent phototour / seminar we both attended (my pics, hers aren't online yet).  Most are taken with a borrowed 40D, some with the borrowed D300s.

Funds are of course not unlimited (buying all this will hurt!) but we're keen to get something better than the cheapest, and take care of it accordingly.

If we are to stay with Nikon, I was wondering what's the best combination of bodies for us, A friend has for sale a D300s with less than 4000 shutter actuations for a decent price. In terms of lenses, I was thinking: one ultrawide angle zoom, two general purpose lenses (e.g. 17-50 or 17-55, ideally f2.8), one telephoto zoom and one macro lens doubling up as portrait lens (and maybe telephoto).  Suggestions are very welcome, including non-Nikon lenses.

So, as long as Sony Nex and Fuji don't have really rounded systems, that's leading us towards the classic Canon / Nikon choice.  Both of us feel better about the Canon ergonomics than Nikon...but on the sensor side I'm warmer towards Nikon.

We don't really want to get into FF, due to size (of lenses) and cost.  On the other hand, m4/3 is an intriguing option but I find the main portability difference is if I can hang a camera on my belt or not, and I can't do that with an M 4/3.

What we photograph: when hiking together - landscapes, plus she's interested in macro. Street shooting, as we tend to visit different European cities. Vacation shots, winter and summer. Possibly some offpiste action ski photos in my case, though I may get a Nikon 1 for more portability.

So I'm looking at buying two bodies in the same system, in order to share lenses.

My wife has recently become more seriously interested in photography and will need a proper camera.  Coincidentally, my former DSLR, an Olympus E510, died about three weeks ago. I only have one nice lens for that, so switching won't be too painful.

Canon EOS 40D Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow