A99 vs D600 ISO6400 samples

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,402Gear list
Like?
Same noise day & night!
In reply to moimoi, Oct 19, 2012

moimoi wrote:

Those tests are good on the paper, but they do not show that kind of performance when it comes to shoot a scene in the dark because poor noise performance will be greatly enhanced (see the high ISO photos from the Korean reviews, which were pretty darn unimpressive).

No, this is not true. Sensitivity of digital sensors is linear, so light level does NOT matter. What matters is exposure! You would get the same noise pattern for an underexposed daylit scene as for an equally underexposed night scene -- given that the same numbers of photons hits the measured area of the sensor.

Sure, termic noise might play a role for long exposures, but that is something quite different.

This means that you can transfer the results from such test scenes directly to real life world!

That remains to be seen.  I am not a high ISO shooter, but time to time, I am more and more inclined to believe that shooting at ISO 3200-6400 can become handy, specially for street photography at night.

Then I would inverst in a high quality bright lens instead of pushing the ISO up to astronomical heights.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow