Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pantonedcat
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
How to watch images on the tv with embedded color profiles
Oct 19, 2012

So I'm starting to digitize my family collection of slides. Several thousands probably. This is something I've delayed many times and I will definetly only do it once in my life (I hope). Anyway I'm planning on storing the photos in adobergb or prophoto lzw compressed TIF as there are severeal kodachromes with very saturated colors.

My idea was to make two different backups of the photos, one in a normal external hd, and the other in a multimeda hd. The reason is simple, my parents will be more likely to enjoy the photos if they are readily available in the TV than in the computer. So I'm looking for a multimedia hd for the tv that could read color tagged tifs (around 16-20mp). I couldn't find any using google and I'm starting to believe they probably don't exist. Besides this, I'm not sure this kind of devices have a decent cpu to display images fast.

The alternative would be to build a small htpc, but it would be more expensive and I would need to use a small ethernet switch to make the backups. Besides this the two major media centers (XBMC and windows MC) don't suppor colorprofiled photos.

I cannot be the first one to run into this problem. What are companies like Samsung expectieng us to do? Will people keep making srgb photos with their mobile phones until when? Cameras have been shooting raw for many many years now, I cannot believe that current cheap rgb led tvs (with pretty large color gammuts) have to depend on devices that can only output srgb.

Thanks is advanced for any sugestion.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow