My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
BSweeney
Contributing MemberPosts: 903Gear list
Like?
Re: My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!
In reply to Daniel74, Oct 19, 2012

If anyone wants to read an account of the Japanese entry into the high-end photographic market, the March 1991 Popular Photography has an interesting article about that little piece of history. The scrutiny of the Japanese products of the 1940s and 1950s  and there eventual acceptance was an article in the New York Times. Marty Forscher did the "strip-down" report of the Nikon I, and Sears marketed the Nicca with the Nikkor lenses. I have a Nicca III with a collapsible Nikkor 5cm F2 made in 1948, Essex did a complete rebuild of the Nicca and I did a CLA on the Nikkor. It was like Wax paper when received, but for $230 for camera and lens- no complaints. The coatings are near perfect, and focus is quite smooth now. Youxin Ye completely rebuilt a Leotax D-IV for me, one of the first made, 4 digit serial number. The Simlar 5cm F1.5 helical had to be soaked in 99% Isopropyl alchohol for 4 days to loosen the grease. It had been in a storage shed for 30 years when received. Youxin is amazing, he has worked on ~10 Leica and early Leica compatible bodies for me. The camera came back like new, the curtains replaced, beamsplitter replaced, and finder optics looking like crystal.  He would be a good person to test out the SLRMagic lens.

BSweeney's gear list:BSweeney's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Leica M9 Olympus PEN E-P2 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow