My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
BSweeney
Contributing MemberPosts: 903Gear list
Like?
Re: My SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review!
In reply to Daniel74, Oct 19, 2012

I think the best thing for people to do at this point is to sit back and wait for more user reviews of the production lens. I would also like to add, to answer a question in PM's: I've made a number of lenses on my Kitchen Table. Mix and Match optics: one of the latest is 1/2 Canon and 1/2 Nikon. Front of a Canon 50/1.5 with the back of a Nikkor 5cm F1.4: RF coupled across the whole focus range on the M9. I used JB-Weld to secure the rear triplet in, because the optical fixtures did not match and it was the way to set the focal length correctly. Usually I prefer shims and proper fixtures. I just wanted to make a lens that is a "Canikon", and it was all from left over parts. i also use lacquer to secure set screws. My best Jupiter-3 is from 1950, never worked correctly and was probably assembly practice. On that one, the optical fixture was held into the mount using sewing thread. I corrected the focal length by moving the rear triplet out, and mounted it in a Leica mount. the lens was given to me for free. One time- made a working optic out of 1/2 of a Sonnar and 1/2 on a Planar: RF coupled into an I-61 mount, and needed epoxy to hold together. I gave that one away, traded others, sold some for the price of parts- all under $75. I have a wartime Sonnar 5cm F1.5 in original Leica mount with so much wobble in the helical that I had to make a liner in the barrel out of copper tape to heep it steady. These are things a hobbyist does. But you do learn where things go bad. This should answer some questions posed to me in PM's.

BSweeney's gear list:BSweeney's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Leica M9 Olympus PEN E-P2 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow