Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bailey151
Senior MemberPosts: 1,117
Like?
Joby UltraFit Sling Strap - impressions
Oct 19, 2012

Just got this yesterday & thought I'd post my impressions.

I've been using a black rapid sling for a couple of years. While it's nice there are some short comings, not the least of which is the fixed length (w/o adjusting). Saw the Joby strap, went to the web site - I liked the design so I ordered it when it became available.

It arrived yesterday & I took the time to play around with it. First impression is that it's everything a BR sling should be, someone took the time to look at the slings on the market and think "how can we make it better".

The single biggest improvement is it does not have a fixed length. All the other slings I've used (a couple besides BR) are fixed length, that is to say you adjust where you want the camera to ride & that's it. The joby strap is instantly adjustable - just grab the ring & push the camera back down & you can instantly shorten it to whatever length you choose. To bring the camera up it's the normal just raise the camera to eye level (it lengthens). You can also lock the length in any position using a simple flip.

Don't know about you folks but for me this was a huge deal. Often standing or seating in my travels. The fixed length sling worked fine while standing......but seating? I'd usually put the camera in my lap.......but.....the extra length allowed the camera to flop around a bit = a PITA. This Joby strap allows you to instantly change the length to suit your needs (& lock it there if need be) - this is great.

Another pet peeve w/ the BR was the padding. The web pad was not integral to the strap = it would twist under the pad, a PITA. Also the padding (even on the smallest one) is rather bulky. The joby strap pad is much thinner & integral to the strap. It is also wider so it distributes the load nicely.

The build quality is excellent, much better than I expected, especially the strap. Instead of being the normal web type strap it's much nicer......like car seatbelts. I suspect this is due to the sliding action (webbing wouldn't work). The rings, and camera mount are all good quality & nicely made. It uses the tripod mount. It's stainless thread & flip up D ring, fairly heavy plastic with rubber around the thread to keep it from coming loose.

The only negative I can come up with is the tripod mount is integral to the strap. Seem to be no way to add clips so you can move it from one camera to another. With the BR I use two pieces in cameras & clip the strap from one to another. It's not all that hard to unscrew it.......just being picky.

You can see videos of the strap here -

http://joby.com/camera-straps

(note I am in no way affiliated with the company - just passing along some info on what I view as  better mousetrap)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow