Thinking of moving to Fuji X land from M43 but ... question.

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gethenderson
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
Thinking of moving to Fuji X land from M43 but ... question.
Oct 19, 2012

Ok so I believe in getting a solid amount of use out of a camera, i've used my E-P2 since it was first available and still do, it's my only camera aside from an old Canonette Rangefinder which I adore too.  It's got that feeling now that it doesn't have long to live though, occasional freeze ups, strange events like buttons needing to be pressed a few times, I mean i've used and abused this thing for years, through jungle, on mountains, thrown in backpacks loosely, I believe in using a camera properly and it has stood up to what I would have expected by now, i've gotten my moneys worth but now the idea of upgrading is real.

When the E-P2 came out, the slow AF was just expected, I was a little unhappy but loved the compact size that was so amazing back then more than the slower AF (Came from Canon DSLR).  Of course a few more M43 cameras started coming out and soon enough they were all blazing fast in AF.  But then the X-Pro-1 came about, and I drooled for a few days until I found the AF seemed to be about the same as my E-P2 !!  I was so annoyed I just couldn't believe it, felt like it had been stolen away from me, it's so much like my Canonette Rangefinder which I looove to pieces, with all the manual controls and settings but the AF is no improvement.

Well when the X-E1 got announced with the "improved" AF I gave it all a second chance, and now i'm wondering, this camera has everything I want, everything, EXCEPT the AF is still pretty bad compared, and if I sell off my lenses and swap systems I'm not sure I can stomach not upgrading the AF, it's one of those things I assumed by now that when the time came to upgrade (as my E-P2 has almost bit the dust) i'd get, and I have missed a lot of shots due to it, but of course you work around it, it would be a major boost though.

Has anyone moved from a system with a much faster AF?  Specifically M43 would be great to hear from, but any system, how did the change over feel, or did you not care because you fell in love with the camera anyway?  I know this camera is great, I feel it SHOULD be my next camera but i'm struggling as the OMD (which I don't particularly like the look and feel of) has all the bells and whistles fine tuned it seems, should I just get that? I have all the lenses I need for it already! (12mm, 20mm, 45mm)

Ideally my little E-P2 will hold out until a new iteration of the X series comes out with standard AF capability, but I have a sinking feeling that if they didn't do that this time, next time it might not be much better..

Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-P2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow