Veteran MemberPosts: 5,616Gear list
Like?
Re: Time for a rebuild, Win7 or Win8?
In reply to Geoff Coupe, Oct 19, 2012

Geoff Coupe wrote:

A redesigned chkdsk and NTFS health model

-- hide signature --

Geoff Coupe

Well - that's good given how many people that want to shut down their pc properly are not going to figure out how to anymore and will simply turn it off!!
Now 4 steps to get to the shut-down choices instead of 2.
I'm using win8 too.  I plopped in classic shell to get my start button back and skip Metro.  I can still get to Metro and do things there if I want, but I'm not forced to anymore.  It's a nice solution that way.  I can choose which way I want to operate.  Too bad MS didn't include this.
Early versions of Win8 MS left the start button code in and a simple registry tweak brought the button back.  But MS is so intent of forcing people to use the 'Modern UI' they yanked that code before the RTM release.  But classic shell and a number of other products get it back.

The other many changes that are now built in like proper taskbar choices when using multiple monitors, hardened rootkit prevention with UEFI motherboards, for me - native hyper-v for development in other operating environments and on and on makes Win8 at the desktop level a nice improvement.

I like the Metro Weather app too.  I'm still dreading that first client call where I have to talk them through how to get to their printers.  Used to be 'start/printers.  Now it's mouse left bottom click (pulls metro up) mouse right bottom hover (and a much smaller area than the first click - they must be exact, then move mouse straight up (don't go too far left or the charm bar will be gone and you'll have to repeat) select settings, then control panel which will flip you back to the desktop then ........finally pick printers.  Most my support calls we do in our call center are printer calls.  This is not going to be fun.

-- hide signature --
 John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SSDNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow