IS THE WIND FILTER ON AN S110 REALLY AGC?

Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
vidrazor
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
Re: IS THE WIND FILTER ON AN S110 REALLY AGC?
In reply to 24IS, Oct 19, 2012

AGC is Automatic Gain Control, so yes, the same as Automatic Level Control. If you studied my graphs, you can plainly see it at work. What's interesting in the S110 is that the wind filter's effect is generally not detrimental to overall audio quality, even if it may thin bass frequencies out for a given aural environment. If necessary you could compensate for it in post assuming A)you have the appropriate tools, B) you know how to use those tools, and C)you want to spend the time doing so. For me, I would do so if needed and fortunately I have the tools and know how to use them.

Back to the S110, the filter's affect is fortunately not murderous. It can act as an ally in the fight to overcome high SPLs. When SPLs are high enough, the attenuation of those frequencies will not affect to overall sound quality, because there's plenty to go around, so to speak.

Your physical attenuation approach is not out of my list of options, and I have considered exactly those measures next time I will have to deal with a high SPL environment who's SPL levels I will be aware of ahead of time. The mics on the S110 are placed front right, as you can see here:

I've more or less have figured out the least obtrusive filter placement for them. Hopefully I'll have everything in place when the need arises. Wish me luck!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow