lens for vacation

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
EYeye
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
Re: lens for vacation
In reply to Ray Ritchie, Oct 19, 2012

Ray Ritchie wrote:

I recently spent two weeks in Italy with my new D800 and 24-85 f/3.5-4.5VR. I used a Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4 for just a few shots when I wanted to go wider, and occasionally would have liked something longer. However, as my only longer lens choice would have been the very heavy 70-200 f/2.8VR (possibly plus TC1.4), I made a deliberate decision to do without the tele end. I was pretty happy with the 24-85 as a compromise travel lens. It's respectably sharp, and quite a bit lighter than a constant aperture zoom such as the 24-120 or the 24-70. It does have some distortion issues, but those are correctable with lens profiles in Lightroom 4.2, which I use for all my initial photo processing anyway.

You can see a sampling of the Italy images at:

Italy 2012

-- hide signature --

Ray I REALLY enjoyed the virtual tour of Italy! Now I want to go back with my same rig as yours, and get such shots of my own. Used a Point and shoot Olympus water resistant with nice results, but yours are excellent IMO.

Thanks for sharing what the D600 24-85mm VR combo can do i real life. I was especially impressed with the light and shadow shots in Venice and Cinque Terre.

We need more posts of real life images to evaluate what these cameras and lens can accomplish. Yours was quite lovely.

EYeye's gear list:EYeye's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon D80 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow