ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
redryder
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Stick to DSLRs or move to mirrorless?
Oct 19, 2012

Hi guys,

I'm a photography enthusiast, definitely not a pro but am well versed in DSLR controls. I bought a D80 when it launched, used it for a couple of years but kept it in a dry cabinet subsequently when  the bulk and weight became too much to carry on vacations and family outings. Occasionally I still take it out for shooting macro.

When P&S sized cameras came out with exchangeable lenses I thought it was a fad. Didn't really pay much attention to it.

Are these cameras approaching DSLR quality now? I admit I have started thinking if I should sell off my Nikon system and switch to mirrorless instead. On the other hand, I don't see myself buying a whole lot of lenses. I just need a general purpose zoom and a 1:1 macro.

I don't use any of the consumer scene modes on a DSLR, and I love the physical buttons. I hate having to use menus to change ISO,WB, etc. If I'm not wrong, the mirrorless cameras still rely a lot on the LCD right?

Last year on a whim I bought the Fuji X100. It's a great camera, but sometimes I miss not having a zoom lens. A lot of the time I end up cropping the photos. I can't shoot 1:1 macros with it either.

So what do you think my next step is? Sell off my whole nikon system and switch to mirrorless? Keep the D80 for macros and the X100 for vacations? I've been told by several people also to upgrade the D80 to D7000 because it is extremely outdated. My gut feel is that a DSLR body upgrade is not right for me at this point.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow