Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rumi Siddiqui
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?
Re: Did I get ripped off based on mileage?
In reply to Tommot1965, Oct 18, 2012

Tommot1965 wrote:

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

tomnorth wrote:

I had been out checking prices for used D700s on eBay when I was briefly considering selling mine to help finance the D800 purchase. My D700 has fifty-some thousand shutter releases. Based on what I saw, $1,600 would be a fair price for 60K actuations, especially including the battery grip. You are correct in assuming that the D700 shutter is rated for 150,000 actuations. One thing to keep in mind is that replacing a shutter is only a few hundred dollar repair, so it's not as if your camera will be a boat anchor once the shutter dies (which might be well past 150,000 actuations).

That's good to know, thank you for that. I guess I never factored shutter repair as a solution, I just assumed that was the end of the camera life overall. I guess the price was somewhat reasonable, considering it's mileage. Sadly, with respect to the battery grip; I came to find out it's not the stock, like I originally thought. It's a vello's 3rd party one that doesn't even take the Nikon batteries which the seller supplied. Regardless, I'm still happy, and still excited.

pays to really research ebay deals before bidding...so we have gone from a screaming deal, to a ok one in a few short posts..its a bummer also about the grip as that would have still added a little sugar to the pot. but alas not

but..and its a BIG but..you have still bought a great camera in the D700 and with the coupled lenses you have earmarked it will serve you well...and unless your a pro, 90000 shutter actuations will take a age to use up

as long as the camera is not knocked around..Id still love it..Id rather have a 60000 shutter and perfect body that 10000 and a rough outside

any pics of the camera..or a link to the closed auction ?

Sorry, if the first link didn't work, this one should.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-d700-Mint-Extras-/160900088874?nma=true&si=cqymxHyKRU0Sr4FObby8tpVNt34%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Rumi Siddiqui's gear list:Rumi Siddiqui's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow