Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
thanhuy
Regular MemberPosts: 288
Like?
Re: Not sure if I did the right thing... from Canon 5D3 to D700?
In reply to Rumi Siddiqui, Oct 18, 2012

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

I've been debating for the past several months between the 5D3 and D800, and then between the D800/D600, but I don't know what came over me, last night. I was on eBay, and I saw a mint condition D700 that was purchased in early 2012 with warranty remaining, and I nabbed it for $1600, which included the grip and two batteries. I had plenty of funds leftover, and went ahead purchased the 70-200 VRII. aI think I'm going to grab an SB-910 today too. I just got to thinking, I don't feel like dealing with the headache of a questionable D800 which costs $3000, which will force me to change my technique, and I wasn't too fond of the D600 ergonomics and button placement. I know the D700 is old tech, but the consistency of beautiful pics produced by this machine is amazing. I just like the way the images look, and my Mac Pro will slice through 12mp like i better. I figured this time around, I'd opt for better glass, and maybe hold out for a true D700 successor in the mean time. I can't wait for it to arrive. This will be my first Nikon. What do you guys think? I'm second guessing myself a bit, and I've never actually used a D700. I think I'm looking more forward to the 70-200mm VR II.

You did the right thing.  Invest on glass instead of camera.  D700 is still the one for many photographers out there doing their job to earn money.  I own both D700 and D800E and after awhile of playing D800 I think it does force me to upgrade few things such as memory card and my HDD.  I use to shoot all day or at least half day with my 24GB card but now that 24GB is filling up so quickly that I have to bring extra 16GB not mention about the writing speed.  With my D700 I can snap all day long and no worry about memory card or weird WB issue like D800.

Get D800 if you're more in landscape photography...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow