Started Oct 18, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
victorjrr
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Canon 50mm 1.4 vs Sony e-mount 50mm 1.8 OSS
Oct 18, 2012

Hi friends, English is not my main language.

Let me ask you something, because this weekend I had a big problem.

I am a proud owner of a nex-5n and a canon FD50mm 1.4. This camera is the best I’ve ever had. My canon FD50mm only lacks contrast at f/1.4, but center sharpness and resolution is great, even wide open. If I set it from 2.8, resolution, sharpness and contrast are simply awesome at all apertures across the frame.

After comparing the kit zoom, sony 16mm 2.8; sony 30mm f3.5 macro; sigma 30mm 2.8 e-mount (very good resolution but contrast from canon is superior from 2.8) to the canon 50mm 1.4 I cannot use any lens I have anymore, only my FD50mm 1.4. I use it every single day with joy.

This weekend I went to a wedding and had a big problem. Every time I wanted a picture from myself and my wife I had to explain to the person how to use the peaking function and after so many lessons I lost my patience. Well, it seems I need an Auto Focus 50mm.

50mm (~ 75mm) is the focal lengh I love. I started reading lots of the sony 50mm 1.8 e-mount reviews and tests and found that it is an excellent lens, but canon 50mm is still superior at MTF 50 and 20 tests. Will I see any difference if I buy the e-mount 50mm 1.8 or this difference at MTF is only to the pixel peeper like me?

Thank you in advance for your help.  Sorry about my poor English.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow