Canon 50mm 1.4 vs Sony e-mount 50mm 1.8 OSS

Started Oct 18, 2012 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Canon 50mm 1.4 vs Sony e-mount 50mm 1.8 OSS
Oct 18, 2012

Hi friends, English is not my main language.

Let me ask you something, because this weekend I had a big problem.

I am a proud owner of a nex-5n and a canon FD50mm 1.4. This camera is the best I’ve ever had. My canon FD50mm only lacks contrast at f/1.4, but center sharpness and resolution is great, even wide open. If I set it from 2.8, resolution, sharpness and contrast are simply awesome at all apertures across the frame.

After comparing the kit zoom, sony 16mm 2.8; sony 30mm f3.5 macro; sigma 30mm 2.8 e-mount (very good resolution but contrast from canon is superior from 2.8) to the canon 50mm 1.4 I cannot use any lens I have anymore, only my FD50mm 1.4. I use it every single day with joy.

This weekend I went to a wedding and had a big problem. Every time I wanted a picture from myself and my wife I had to explain to the person how to use the peaking function and after so many lessons I lost my patience. Well, it seems I need an Auto Focus 50mm.

50mm (~ 75mm) is the focal lengh I love. I started reading lots of the sony 50mm 1.8 e-mount reviews and tests and found that it is an excellent lens, but canon 50mm is still superior at MTF 50 and 20 tests. Will I see any difference if I buy the e-mount 50mm 1.8 or this difference at MTF is only to the pixel peeper like me?

Thank you in advance for your help.  Sorry about my poor English.

This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow