Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Re: "Long Term" budget storage?
In reply to Sean Nelson, Oct 18, 2012

Sean Nelson wrote:

ptl-2010 wrote:

I think if I ever become more of a serious photographer, and I start making real money, I would definitely invest in a raid 5 storage system and do some off-site storage and archiving like you're supposed to.

Just be aware that RAID isn't a backup.   If you're a pro photographer, a valid reason for using RAID would be that you couldn't afford the down time to replace a failed drive and restore it from one of your backups.   But RAID won't protect you from theft, corruption, etc - so you still need to make those backups and keep them offline (and preferably offsite).

Yes I understand it's purpose. My main reason for looking at backup solutions is hard drive failure. I personally have never had a drive fail, but that is my biggest fear, that's why I would really want to invest in a nice RAID setup so that if one were to fail, I would not lose any data. I would still have plenty of backups. Thanks for the note though!

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow