Is something wrong with my camera / kit lens ?

Started Oct 18, 2012 | Questions thread
ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Re: Is something wrong with my camera / kit lens ?
In reply to Shootalot, Oct 18, 2012

It looks like you have dirt in or on your lens. This is easy to check.

remove your lens from the camera and put the body cap on your DSLR.

Sit at a table with a bright desk lamp and the lens, look through the lens at a solid colored object (a piece of paper on the desk/table is what I do) and see if you can see any spots or dust on or in the lens. You may have dirt/dust in the lens which is hard to remove, but you may also have something on the rear element which is easily cleaned.

If you do find something you can remove, use a soft lens cleaning cloth and "brush" it off. You can also use a soft bristle art brush or a lens pen brush.  DO NOT PUSH DOWN as you risk scratching the lens, simply rest the cloth on the lens and push it around with your fingers. Do not use any cleaning fluid unless you have a hard time removing the dust/dirt. Rubbing alchohol (99%) is a great lens element cleaner. You can also use a blower, but not canned air or an air compressor without a water/oil filter.

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow