Do you use your NEX 3 or 5 as your primary camera?

Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Larry251
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?
Do you use your NEX 3 or 5 as your primary camera?
Oct 18, 2012

As some of you may have seen from some of my other posts here, I recently purchased a 5N and have been going through some inner debate about whether to keep it and get an EVF or return it and get something else.  The something else at this point would probably be a NEX 6 or similar level m4/3 or a DSLR around the same price range.

Whatever camera I ultimately choose will be my primary camera for learning more about photography, travel, snapshots, etc.   I thought mirrorless made sense because I figured I am much more likely to take a smaller package with me, which would mean more shooting and more learning.  I t has been suggested by some that a DSLR would be a more versatile camera and better to continue learning on due to its ease of control.  I must admit that I am not quickly getting used to the menu system and lack of manual controls on the 5N even though I do have the custom buttons programmed.  There are also a couple of  features (like better bracketing options) that I wish the 5N had, although that could probably be said of any camera.

How many of you who own a NEX 3 or 5 are using it as your only or primary camera (I didn'include the 7 because it has some additional features)?  Do you agree at all with those who have suggested that a DSLR is the way to go initially when getting into a larger sensor camera (i.e., a non-point and shoot)?

Larry251's gear list:Larry251's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow