Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jaggedhorizon
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?
Choosing two bodies plus a lot of lenses
Oct 18, 2012

My wife has recently become more seriously interested in photography and will need a proper camera.

Coincidentally, my former DSLR, an Olympus E510, died about three weeks ago. I only have one nice lens for that, so switching won't be too painful.

So I'm looking at buying two bodies in the same system, in order to share lenses.

What we photograph: when hiking together - landscapes, plus she's interested in macro. Street shooting, as we tend to visit different European cities. Vacation shots, winter and summer. Possibly some offpiste action ski photos in my case, though I may get a Nikon 1 for more portability.

We don't really want to get into FF, due to size (of lenses) and cost.  On the other hand, m4/3 is an intriguing option but I find the main portability difference is if I can hang a camera on my belt or not, and I can't do that with an M 4/3.

So, as long as Sony Nex and Fuji don't have really rounded systems, that's leading us towards the classic Canon / Nikon choice.  Both of us feel better about the Canon ergonomics than Nikon.  To be honest, on the sensor side I was warmer towards the Nikons but I guess that difference is not earth-shattering.

I was wondering what's the best combination of bodies for us, choosing between 7D, 60D, 650D and used 40D / 50D.  (A friend has for sale a 40D which I like, but only together with a 17-40 F4 lens which is nice but doesn't really have a long enough range for a walk-around lens on APS.).  For instance, I don't think I really need the 7D, but I'm worried about lack of microfocus adjustment and weather sealing on the 60D.

In terms of lenses, I was thinking: one ultrawide angle zoom, two general purpose lenses (e.g. 17-50 or 17-55, ideally f2.8), one telephoto zoom (the 70-200 F4 is one other reason I'm attracted to Canon) and one macro lens doubling up as portrait lens (and maybe telephoto).  Suggestions are very welcome, including non-Canon lenses.

Funds are of course not unlimited (buying all this will hurt!) but we're keen to get something better than the cheapest, and take care of it accordingly.

If you're interested, here are selected shots  from a recent phototour / seminar we both attended (my pics, hers aren't online yet).  Most are taken with the borrowed 40D, some with a borrowed D300s.

http://cedricpopa.zenfolio.com/p919345075

Thanks for any thoughts / comments!

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Canon EOS 7D Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow