LCD settings and photograph appearance

Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Re: LCD settings and photograph appearance
In reply to Homotopy, Oct 18, 2012

You can check exposure with the histogram. There are lots of tutorials on how to do this.

As for how it looks in the end, you need to check the image on the medium you will use.

I would suggest printing a photo and then comparing it to your monitor under good lighting. A desk lamp with a daylight bulb would work. Simply adjust your monitor until it looks similar to the print.

The issue with sharing images online or on facebook is that everyone has different monitors with different settings. I like to use my iPhone as a test since it only has a brightness adjustment, so its like a happy medium.

There are monitor calibration charts, but they can be tricky to use and won't give you perfect results. There are monitor calibrators, but they are pretty expensive. I've used the print method for a while now and I've been happy with the results.

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow