Senior MemberPosts: 2,717Gear list
Like?
Re: Not really
In reply to Richard, Oct 18, 2012

Richard wrote:

Todd Ka wrote:

Richard wrote:

Todd Ka wrote:

You guys are a bunch of entitled cry babies.

No Really. You see, that is how capitalism works. I culls the heard. The best stores have demo models, the best stores have stock, the best stores have good return policies, the best stores have a good relationship with the manufacturer, good stores have good sales people,

This is the expectation they have created for us. We never forced it on them and like this store I went to, they don't have to do any of these things, but those who don't will go out of business because the people will buy from the good stores.

I have heard rants here that we should support local stores, but with service like this, I am not going to support them.

No. This is the expectation you have created for yourself.

No, it is an expectation the industry creates. Walmart has a return prolicy to get around having to demo products, Best buy can hire people who have little understanding of all the products they sell and because of their return policy, price grantee, and low prices, they set the tone. They also eliminated the Silo, Fred Schmidt, Circuit City, Egghead, Comp USA and all the other stores with their superior customer service. They and others like them create the expectation.

Many of the Brick and mortar stores and doing poorly because many of them made their money off of their in house photo labs, film, and compact camera sales.   It is true that internet vendors who do not have to collect sales tax certainly have been able to erode general camera sales (Govt. picking winners and losers?).

There are many reasons that cause closures, and yes not being able to compete with Best buy and the internet is one of them. Best buy, the leader in how capitalism forces higher expectations, better service and lower prices is now struggling as well and there are those questioning if they will survive. http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterloeb/2012/08/22/best-buy-in-turmoil-will-it-survive/

Pure lack of analysis.  Most, brick and mortar stores never made enough off of strait camera sales to stay open, even more so now as the total volume of camera sales (the compact camera that made up the bulk of camera sales) decline and the shadow if a global economic crisis remains.   With out the film and processing revenue they are struggling.

Not because Tom Dick and Harry can't run the shutter count up their stock of DSLRs.

B&H does not have this issue and has a great return policy, they are destroying brick and morters, if you want to debate that's fine but most people understand this.

B@H is big enough to get lower prices per item, and can afford in store demo models.

Many of them that are surviving are changing their business models in innovative new ways, adding product lines, classes, and services.

By adding new products, they are saying, we cannot compete with B&H in the camera business or even the struggling Best Buy so we add new products. If they cannot demo what they are selling especially high end models and they are not backed up with a good return policy that has no restocking fee, they will die  due to competition

More lack of analysis. They are trying to recover that lost revenue that came from the processing and printing operations as well as compact cameras sales.  Buy your same logic, Best Buy is failing in the camera market because they sell televisions, radios, appliances, and computers.  I wonder how long they would last as a national retailer if they just sold cameras?

Many people would have to drive several hours to put even put their hands on a D800.  The clerk was polite, let you check the camera out, and all stores in the USA have state imposed return policies.

You are incorrect,, not all stores, not even most stores are imposed, the only things that are "imposed" is that a retailer must have their return policies displayed. Try to return a new car, unless the company specifically states it has a return policy you assume it does not. Warranties are the same, though the information must be disclosed they do not have to have a warranty, but things like "no warranty stated or implied" or verbiage to that nature must be displayed. There may be states that have some restrictions on returns, but I don't know of any and it would be stupid to have them, the only restrictions I know is that if a door to door sales man comes to your house and sells you something, you have 3 days to cancel the contract. Otherwise, if you walk into a car dealership and sign a car, you are stuck with it and they don't have to return it once the contract is signed.

Also if you have to drive over 60 miles to demo a camera only to find out they won't let you try the camera out, you would be upset too, it also means where you live if you have enough population is a good place to open up a competitive camera store or add cameras to part of your retail sales if you own a store that sells other goods. Although B&H is making it very difficult for places like that to exist anymore.

What were you hoping to achieve by shooting a few snap shots in the store?  The point of going to the store is to see how it feels in you hands.  There are plenty of IQ samples and reviews on line, and it takes days or even weeks to really get comfortable with a camera, so taking a few pics in the store offers little or no additional utility beyond inspecting the body and getting a feel for it which does not require taking a couple of pics.

So your only beef is that they would not let you devalue their inventory?

My beef is they had no display model. I worked in retail when I was young, a music store. You had 1 to show, and at least 1 to go, and if you had to sell your display, it was at a discount. That is because the owner new how to do business. I left there after dabbling in management They are still in business today. I have a pretty good idea how a good business is run

You are comparing a camera to a record?  Enough said.

Your poor understanding of business and markets are no doubt due to your simplistic and slightly misguided understanding of capitalism.

No, you don't even know the laws surround return policies, you don't understand why you need a demo model (even car business let you drive the cars around before you purchase them). You don't understand customer service. My understanding of capitalism is very good and although the statement "Capitalism improves the breed and culls the heard" may be simplistic, it is absolutely true and absolutely works.

In the state where I live you can by law return virtually anything along with cars, boats, and atvs within three days, most states have similar laws, and most credit cards have a 30-90 day return policy on items purchased with the card that they actively enforce.   One necessity of capitalism is informed consumers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow