"Long Term" budget storage?

Started Oct 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Re: "Long Term" budget storage?
In reply to Jen Yates, Oct 18, 2012

Thank you everyone for the information! This has all really helped me understand things more.

I agree that the cloud sounds great, but I already keep my portfolio/favorites in a drop box and on Google Drive, so I can show them to family/friends on my phone. $50 a year isn't bad, but I only want a backup in case of hard drive/computer failure, and as someone stated, a good hard drive isn't that expensive anymore, and cloud storage would get pretty expensive after a few years.

I do have a sort of secondary backup drive at my work that has ALL of my software and important docs scanned in just in case my stuff is stolen/lost/destroyed in some sort of fire/disaster. I think I will also use it for my photo collection now that it's grown so large.

I think I am going to go with this...

1. leave the media on my work drive. At 60gb a year it would take me an extremely long time to fill up a 1tb hard drive.

2. back up the work drive to another 1tb drive every use. Not a mirror but a backup of new files, mostly for the storage of the images themselves.

3. Start using my off-site important backup for my photos too. this is something I only thought of today.

4. I do print my favorites, usually 8x10's for the "photography" and 4x6 for the little things.

5. I also have my online collection in my dropbox and on google drive, which has all of my favorites in full res high quality jpeg.

Since the backup will be used every once in a while, it will keep the moving parts moving to help lower the risk of failure due to low usage.

I think if I ever become more of a serious photographer, and I start making real money, I would definitely invest in a raid 5 storage system and do some off-site storage and archiving like you're supposed to. But for the time being, multiple hard drives, prints, an online backup of my favorites, and a final backup at my work sounds like more than enough to keep my memories safe.

Thanks again for all of the help everyone!

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow