Luego's Panasonic GF3X: How sharp is the Vario PZ 14-42mm lens?

Started Oct 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeff Morris
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,285Gear list
Like?
Re: Luego's Panasonic GF3X: How sharp is the Vario PZ 14-42mm lens?
In reply to Luego, Oct 18, 2012

Hi Luego,

There has been much hand wringing about this lens.  To be frank, I think a lot has to do with the body used, the focal length and the distance to subject.

I come from a Nikon background.  I have been selling off my Nikon gear and getting more involved with my OM-D E-M5.  I started with a 12mm, 17mm and 45mm Oly set.  Purchased a 12-35mm (At $1,299) then got a 100-300 Panny.  I returned the 12-35 Panny due to the price drop and the fact I was not comfortable with such an expensive MFT lens until I knew the MFT system warranted such expensive glass.

I really wanted a compact zoom lens and as far as I know the only game in town is the 14-42 PZ Panny.  Well after a number of shots and serious review I have come up with the conclusion that this is a very underrated lenses.  (Please understand, I have not experienced the double image problem others seem to have with this lens.)  IMHO, the images look great.  Great color, Great contrast and sharp)  I am not sure if focus distance is an issue, but near field sharpness at 42mm seems fine.  (My 100-300 seems to be tack sharp near field, but at infinity it softens up at the long end.)  I will put together a folder on Smugmug of my OOC results with this lens for all to play with.  But I must say this lens is nice.  I really appreciate the compact form factor.  In fact I enjoy using my 14-42 PZ more than the 12-35 due to its compact nature, both in and out of my camera bag.

Please understand, I sold off may excellent Nikkor's including my 24-70mm f2.8.  So when I say I enjoy the 14-42 PZ more than the 12-35mm, I know what that lens is and I appreciate it very much.  I just enjoy the size and weight of the little Panny PZ a great deal.

If someone could explain to my why some lenses will give a double image at some focal lengths on some bodies, I would appreciate it.

Another reason I returned the 12-35 was that at $1,299USD I said to myself "Heck, for another $100, I could get the Fuji X-E1 kit with their 18-55mm lens.  However the seriously good results I am starting to get with my E-M5 makes me yearn less for the Fuji.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Jeff Morris / Homecinemaman
Adams, Gutmann, Steichen, Snoopy, Stigletz, Weston. they lead by example.
I hunt, I peck, I squint, all on a MacBook Pro 13" laptop. So don't laugh, I'm happy there aren't more typo's! (Love the screen and touch pad, hate the keyboard.)

Jeff Morris's gear list:Jeff Morris's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow