Why so many choices?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,294
Like?
Re: After you check and update your drivers....
In reply to kcbeatty, Oct 18, 2012

The very next thing i would check is the power supply.

I have worked on several (maybe 7 or 8) PCs that were failing with BSOD in Windows 7, and all of them were giving odd/different error codes ...  all but one of them were "cured" with a new power supply..

The one that wasn't caused by a power supply was caused by a bad connector for the power supply on the mother board.

I cant stress enough that every time a system has "weird" BSOD crashes (with Win 7) that arent the same cause every time the power supply is suspect, until/unless I find a loose connecter or a failed part right up front.

I have "customized" a 650 watt PS so that it has extra long leads, and all the plugs likely to be needed...  I keep it on the shelf for testing systems.. I dont have to yank most systems apart to test the PS just disconnect the one in the box and plug in the "test supply"..

If the system still crashes, I can scratch power supply off the list...

The world famous "BSOD" has almost gone away with the advent of Windows 7... With Windows 95 through 98 they were very common.... I dont think I ever got one with XP-Pro (32 bit)..

Getting a BSOD with Vista, on a new system, fresh from the box caused me to put XP-PRO on that particular system.  I never did have VISTA on any system of mine for longer than it took to get a new key for XP-pro and install it...

I've been very happy with Windows 7/Ubuntu and see no reason to change from those.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow