Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
quatpat
Contributing MemberPosts: 874Gear list
Like?
Why is there no FP mode?
Oct 18, 2012

FP = Fully Programmable (I just inveted that one...)

This mode would let the photographer chose an upper and a lower limit for all 3 major settings, which are aperture, shutter speed, and iso number. This would function just like what we have today for auto-iso, only it would allow at the same time to program user defined range for aperture and shutter speed as well.

An example: In order to avoid motion blur I know that I want to use a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000s with my 400mm lens. However, above 1/3200 s the electronic first shutter curtain starts creating dark streaks, so I want to stay withing these two limits with my shutter speed. The sharpest aperture on my lens is from f5 to f8, so I'd like to use this range. As for the programmable auto-iso, we have it already.

Now here is the thing: It would be nice not only to be able to program these three factors, but also to set the priorities. When the light gets lower, I'd like for example to first use a wider aperture, then to use a slower shutters speed, and only last to increase the iso. Of course all of these within the limits specified before.

Now I know that many people have been asking for auto-iso in M mode, but this would go well beyond that, allowing more felxibility for light changes, and using the camera within the limits that the photographer chooses. A and S modes are great, but just not prgrammable enough. For example, when in A mode with auto-iso, the camera will go down first to 1/500s before using higher iso's which is often too slow to avoid motion blur with a 400mm lens. Or, when in S mode I would maybe like my lens not to be used wide open, but only down to f5 for example.

I think this would be a great oportunitiy for Sony to have a sophisticated and very useful feature, which Canikon cameras don't have. And, very cheap to implement as well, it could even be done via firmware if wanted. But even better would be to put it on the mode dial on future cameras, Which would den have PASM + FP.

qp

quatpat's gear list:quatpat's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow