Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dennismullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,523
Like?
Flash overexposure - it's the mirror!
Oct 18, 2012

I called Sigma and asked about the overexposure and inconsistency problems with my Sigma EM-140 DG Macro Flash. After talking to a few people I was finally put through to an technician who obviously knew how the system works.

He explained why the flash doesn't work with my A65 even though it works fine with my A700 and A900.

The mirror doesn't let enough light through so the camera doesn't tell the flash to shut off. The flash shoots at full power which enplanes why it seems you can turn down the flash compensation and the exposure stays the same. If you turn it down enough you can lower the intensity but it is inconsistent because you are basically shooting in manual mode.

I asked him if there is a fix. He said the flash needs to be redesigned and it was unlikely they would do anything because Sony sales were so small compared to Canon or Nikon.

This enplanes why Sony is so silent. There is no camera firmware fix. The flash is probably borderline and either all the time or part of the time the camera does not tell the flash to turn off.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at www.dennismullen.com.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+ 1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow