This Years Safari Stuff ( Lots of images)

Started Oct 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,404Gear list
Like?
This Years Safari Stuff ( Lots of images)
Oct 18, 2012

Well we did the yearly Kruger trip this year and I have only finished processing or re processing the images now. We did a 9 day  DYI trip , where you drive yourself , cook , pour drinks etc. The only thing you don't do is fly yourself and clean. . We stay in self catering accommodation. (Cheap). This year we stayed mostly in tented units. If we go next year we will ether be more prepared of select different accommodation some areas , at Tamboti  tented  camp the temperature went down to -2 C with the temperature in the unit being -1C. Ieeeeesh it was cold in the morning and evenings.  WHen you got up in the morning 5:30 PM you put you warmest clothes on with a thermal  jacket , beanie  , and gloves. By 10PM you started shedding slowly.  Us Souf Efreekens are not geared up for cold.

Ok on to the game which was not so great this year as they had had a lot of rain and flooding  with long grass and dense thickets. Due to the ample supply of water these animals where very dispersed. The  Greater Kruger is 3,000,000 Ha or about 600 km long and if one includes the other reserves which have dropped their fences about 200KM wide. So the animals don't come to fixed water as its all over the p[lace . The weather was also lousy with lots of scudding cloud and haze. Generally not great photographic weather. It was also bloody cold.

Now to the Photography , I took the E-5/30/620 and the Bigma / 12-60 / 50-200 / 18-180 / 35m / Metz AF-50 / Bean bag / Small useless tripod / canon SX220 / Chargers , batteries etc . For a change I did not leave anything major behind except a decent photographer.

I have this habit of experimenting at the wrong time , this time with one touch WB . I have never been happy with the safari WB so I decided to try OTWB. Ieeeeesh what a mess , fortunately I shoot  jpg/raw and had to rework 3000 pictures. One of the problems is with a long lens is the WD at the long end can be different to the local WB. Scudding clouds also don't help. Yes you can recover with the raws but with so many changing scenes one has to try and remember what the image was about. I was fortunate to sometimes be able to look at the other cameras and get an Idea. The major problems lies with the tint. Any way I have had a bit of work to do on these so some of the WB is a bit inconsistent. The other thing is to try and clear you mind of what you are seeing about yourself now and get the right colour for those images , in this case red'ish (Dust and dirt) , yellow to orange (Winter) . I always did not get it right. The cameras worked flawlessly as usual ( Unlike the photographer) .

I will post the in 5 post's , Meat Eaters / Birds/ Big Stuff / Smaller stuff / and views.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Olympus E-5 Pentax K-m (K2000) Pentax K-r Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WOW!New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow